Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christmas Festivities in Idaho!

Well, I finally had some time to post some pictures and comment on the remainder of our Christmas vacation. We did a lot of things, I didn't quite remember how much until I looked back at all of the pictures. The following few were before Christmas when we bundled Leah up and took her out for her first true snow experience. She doesn't look too happy, that's because she wasn't!
She started to cry the moment we started putting the pants on her, she wasn't too happy about having the hat on either, and by the time we got to the mittens she was livid. The boots slipped right on though because they are a size 5 and she only wears a size 2.5. We were hoping they would last a few years and plus we put like three pairs of socks on her.

So here she is after her Dad threw her in the snow. Still not too happy. Now, below is a little video of her in the "yellow" sled that Zack was willing to part with for an afternoon to allow Leah some fun. I remember using this sled with Zack when he was this age, we had a dog, Shadow or Elky, I can't remember which, that would pull him a long in this sled eventually dumping him in a snowdrift somewhere. Zack seemed to love it, Leah liked it too but unfortunately, no dog, just Dad.

Christmas morning brought some sleepy eyes, even though we didn't get up until 8. Afterwhich we had breakfast before we opened presents. Here they are still asleep.

And here they are wide awake and ready for some food and presents.
So we go into the living room and there is Leah's present from Santa. A new saucer. Can you tell that we are determined to have Leah like the snow?
We got our overstuffed stockings and dumped their contents into our own seperate bowls. Lots of good treats and small trinkets.
Then it was on to opening presents. Leah never did quite figure that out. She may have been a bit tired. She enjoyed the spoils though, a cute warm pink hoodie and a very giggly baby doll. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Schauerhamer!
Boy, there was so much stuff! I think we had a total of 11 people there opening presents. It took quite a while and made quite a mess!
Leah enjoys all of the toys that she got. She especially likes anything that makes cute barnyard sounds!
So later that day we headed up to Ashton to spend time with the Baum's. Leah got a little spoiled with Grandpa Baum. He would give her anything she wanted and even let her feed herself. It looks like she wasn't too successful.
She also got to ride in her favorite rocking chair. I say ride because she never could just sit in it. She had to stand and rock it out of control. We were affraid that she would send herself flying out of it but she never did. That takes talent that I believe she got from me!
Church on Sunday brought this cute ensemble.
And of course her red coat from the first day of Christmas. ;)
Later that day, we headed back down to the Schauerhamers where we had a lovely prime rib dinner and played loads of games. Leah's favorite was the name game. She insisted on sitting in the pot of names. We didn't mind too much.Great-Grandma and Grandpa Hawkes were invited over and had a lovely time! Can't you tell?
So here we are in the snow again. She doesn't seem too upset this time. Maybe she really was getting used to the gear.
Andrew got his brother and sisters to go out and make a snow fort. Andrew loves making snow forts. Did I ever mention that? I guess the Jorgensen's know that since they have a few sitting in their front yard but this one that is in front of the Schauerhamer's, it's a beauty. It is huge! It has enough space to hold close to 7 people and it has three windows. It's about the size of the Jorgensen's camping tent! So of course Andrew had to get Leah out in it. So here she goes.

Looking through the window to the girls and Leah.
Looking through the door, she doesn't seem that impressed. Or maybe she just can't move.
She started getting a little upset with Emily. Not because of Emily but because it was getting so darn COLD!!!

It was so cold it squeezed a little tear out onto Leah's precious cheek.
This is in the snow but a different day. It's a tradition to have a snow day up in Ashton at Jim and Kathy Hawkes' house. For those of you who know Josh Hawkes, it's his parents farm or ranch as they call it. So we were excited to take Leah out once again. This time there was a dog to keep her entertained. It was one of the cutest little puppies I have ever seen. Leah loved this little guy! I'm so happy!
So Andrew and I ended up bringing one of my dad's snowmachines to the snow day. Andrew was really excited because it was such a fun machine to drive and it was by far the fastest one there. Andrew took the liberty of making sure he was one of the only drivers. He decided to take his cousin Bryant out for a spin on the tube. This is how he came back. I always say, if you don't come back looking like this.... then you didn't have a good ride!

We, Andrew, Bryant, BJ, Jason and I all went for a spin on the snowmobiles. The ranch is surrounded by fields so there is no limit to where you can go. It was really fun. I was glad to get out and snowmobile since I wasn't able to ride on the tubes. Which happens to be one of my favorite past times.
So we were about to head back but I wanted a good picture of the Tetons since it was such a beautiful day. So Andrew and I veered off to the top of the hill to get a good shot. I took a few and then Andrew yelled over that there was a herd of elk off to the right. We drove over closer and startled them. They started to run right across the view of the Tetons. Unfortunately there was a bit of a hill so I didn't get a full view but here they are. Very cool!
Here they are running away. If you click on the picture you will see that they are all huge bull elk. Quite the sight.
Back at the ranch, Leah got bundled up again to go see the cousins "blow something up".

We started off walking but realized that we were going to have to walk quite a ways so we hitched a ride with Uncle Grant on his snowmobile.
So here we all are. Watching and waiting for the big boom. I can't remember what kind of explosive they were using but they had to shoot it to light it off. It took them quite a while to actually hit it. Once they did it was a little anti-climactic. Leah by this time was not happy, it was cold and so Andrew stuffed her in his coat and she soon fell asleep. If you click on the following picture you will see Andrew looking more like me than ever.
Here they are, the uncles, trying to hit the target.

On Saturday, the day we left to come home, we also moved Zack into his new apartment at the Bunk House in Rexburg. I have to be honest, I have never seen Zack in such a good mood. He was soo excited and happy to be here that I could have gotten him to say that a Mac may be better than a PC. Then again..... maybe not. Anyways, he was really happy.

And here he is lounging in his nicely made bed and all of his necessities for college life. A stereo, rubiks cube, calogn, CDs, DVDs, (off picture) guitar and homemade suped up computer. Oh I think his textbooks are there somewhere. :)
Back at home, yeah we decided to go get some groceries. We had soo many bags and things that Andrew had to carry Leah in his coat again. And here she is sliding out, I think they were mocking me.
Well there you have it folks, a Christmas vacation we will never forget. I hope you enjoyed yours! By the way, HAPPY NEW YEARS!

4 comments:

julie said...

wow that last picture is hilarious!

Stacy said...

I am still laughing from the last one too! I also want one of those snow forts in our front yard. I guess we will have to wait till we get to Idaho to get one of those 7 people forts! What fun you all had! We are glad to have you back though!

Anonymous said...

What did you guys ever do without Leah to entertain you!?? What a cute little bug!! She is a little starlet-we love all the photos and holiday blips! Keep em coming, we miss you guys so much! Love'n stuff, Bryan and lisa

julie and ian said...

ok IKEA sounds good! Before I posted those pics of Leah on our blog I made sure I sent them to you! So they're just waiting in your email for you! (They're the full size and resolution in the email).