Friday, November 11, 2011

Update at the Schauerhamer House

Lately things have been going the speed of light at the Schauerhamer house. It seems like we are going constantly and somehow we like it that way. There have been a few changes and a few exciting things happening this week, first I was called to be the Young Women's second counselor in our ward. I'm really excited about it and look forward to working with the Beehives. I think I have four girls but only two are active so I have my work cut out for me. I'm excited to be working with my fellow leaders, Sister Smith and Sister Marotz. I'm sad to be leaving my Cub Scout calling, though I haven't officially been released yet. ;)

Other news, the other day I was packing up the girls to go down to the library for story hour, I had several library books in my hand as well as my coat and purse so I only had one free hand to get Lily into the car. Since the snow fall she hasn't wanted to do anything herself outside. Anyway, I did a no no and picked her up by her little hand/wrist and heard a little pop while setting her in the backseat. She instantly started crying and demanding that she have a band aid. I wasn't sure whether to take her seriously so we continued on down to the library. She calmed down quite a bit but I noticed while she was sitting there with the other kids that her arm was just kind of dangling to her side. She would move it every once in a while but I could tell it hurt. At this point I was kind of freaking out and feeling extremely bad that I had done that to her. Not knowing what it was I took her home afterwards to my parent's house and talked to them about it. We tried to bend it and she would get really angry and  push us away. She fell asleep shortly after and I decided just to let her rest. While she was sleeping my mom suggested we look it up and see what could possibly be wrong, what we found was that she most likely had a dislocated elbow otherwise known as nurse maid's elbow and that we should seek medical attention immediately, because it can pinch off blood vessels. I went into where Lily was sleeping and looked at her arm and hand and sure enough, her little hand was turning blue. Knowing that this was the first time I had to make an emergency hospital visit I asked if my mom would come along. We rushed down to Rexburg to the community care, hoping they could take care of it there without having to go to the emergency room. Thoughts were running through my head of surgeries, casts, and other dreadful things, but to my relief the Doctor came in to our little room really friendly, came close to Lily and without she or me knowing it, grabbed her little arm and jerked and twisted it and said, "Okay fixed!" I said, "Really?!?" He said, "Yep, I heard a pop so let's just see if she can move it now." Sure enough Lily moved it more than she had been all day, the doctor had us go into another room to get some suckers and stickers. He made her take one with each hand and little Lily's arm seemed to be back to normal. He said that we should maybe take some x-rays to make sure everything was alright, so we waited maybe two minutes and he came back in and noticed that she was doing just fine and told us we could go home without the x-rays. Whew! We were in and out of there within half an hour. I haven't felt that kind of relief since the day they told us she didn't have a heart condition back at Primary Children's Hospital. We went home, told Andrew and Grandpa Baum the good news and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

On another, not so stressful note. Lily is in the process of being potty trained. This has been about a week long process and she still hasn't gone a day without one accident but she is progressing by leaps and bounds. Last Thursday I took off the diaper and haven't put one back on her since, even though I have a box of size fours in the closet. We'll just save those for later. She began by holding it for most the day but she is now telling me when she has to go, using her little pink potty and getting stickers for rewards, oh and she wakes up dry every morning. Leah's just as excited as I am and insists on dumping her mess. Silly girl. She's a good helper though and really encourages Lily to go potty. We're so proud of our little Lily and can't wait until she really has it down. She amazes me each and every day with how much she has grown and what a sweetheart she is, she makes us laugh constantly.

Well that's what has been happening here hope all is well elsewhere. We look forward to the holidays and spending time with family. It's such a good time of year and we have so many things to be thankful for.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

It seems to me that we run in the same circles. I just got called back to YW (1st couns. this time). I have two miamaids. I am very excited. I won't be pregnant or have a little newborn this time. Maren however is not potty trained. She has to go to the specialis in two weeks.

Jennifer said...

Poor little Lily! I'm glad her elbow was fixed easily. You have the exact same calling as Miranda, she is 2nd Counselor in her Y. Women's also.

Giles Fam said...

Hey, I am second counselor in the YW!!! And before that I was a CubScout leader. We are twinners! :) You will be awesome!!

sara said...

So glad to hear no casts or surgery or hours in the ER. I guess you won't pick her up like that anymore. Congrats on the new calling. It will be such a fun change. I can just picture Little Lily in her big girl undies. Can't wait to see you guys in December.

Jamie Baum Garrett said...

I'm glad to hear that Lily is ok, and such a simple fix! Your new calling should be a lot of fun. I have always wanted to have a YW calling but I've always been in the RS or the Primary. I hope your Thanksgiving is good. We are having my Dad, Chi, and Rachel down for Thanksgiving and are excited. :)