This was our last day in Rome. We had to head back to the airport because our plane left for Ethiopia at midnight but that left us plenty of time to see our last few sites in Rome.
Sleeping Beauty to Fashionista
Lily caught on to the fact that it's all about fashion in Rome and hammed it up a bit for the local Romans while Andrew put our baggage in storage at the hotel we just checked out of so we didn't have to haul it around with us all day.
We weren't quite sure what sites we wanted to see on our last day so we just hopped on the Metro down to a stop we hadn't been to and then wandered around until we found ourselves at the Baths of Caracalla.
I wish more than anything that I could have seen this place in it's time. It must have been amazing with all of the great architecutre and detailed flooring. Oh and of course all of the bathing and steaming.
The Baths of Caracalla, the second largest baths complex in ancient Rome, were built between 212 and 219 A.D. by the emperor Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, better known by his nickname Caracalla. By the 3rd century A.D. the Romans had built many baths, in Rome and elsewhere, and had acquired great skill in designing functional, fully integrated complexes. The water supply and drainage system, in particular, required careful planning to ensure an adequate flow to and from the numerous hot and cold basins: it has been calculated that the baths used 15-20,000 cubic meters of water per day. The baths were fed by a branch of the Aqua Marcia aqueduct, which brought pure water to Rome from springs in the hills near Subiaco, over 90 km away. The water flowed into a huge cistern, divided into 18 separate chambers for easy maintenance and with a total capacity of 10,000 cu. m. From here it went by gravity flow through pipes underneath the gardens to the main building. Inside the main building a complicated distribution system carried the water directly to the cold pools or to boilers over wood fires where it was heated for the warm and hot baths.
These guys knew how to Relax!
On one side of the site you see all of the ruins of the baths and then on the other there are all of the beautiful gardens with trees, grass and an ivy covered stone wall.
After this amazing place we meandered back to our hotel to eat and get our luggage. We decided to go back to the first restaurant we had been to when we first came to Rome and have another fabulous meal.
We then had to head back to the airport via the train and it wasn't long before we were back on the plane headed to Ethiopia.


















2 comments:
Did Lily lose a shoe again? I keep seeing her pretty socks. I loved the picture of her intense sleeping. She really knows how to relax. I'm not surprised that the Italians want to have their pictures taken with your cute little girlies. The girls were most likely noticed wherever you went. I'm so glad that you have been sharing your trip with us. Thank you so much.
I made this same comment on your earlier post just now, but thought I should leave it on your LATEST blog entry! can't wait to see your time in Ethiopia!
Hey there guys!! I am so glad you are totally enjoying your time away! Have no fear NOTHING exciting has happened here in Ashton...well it did SNOW 7-8 inches on MONDAY so enjoy those beautiful days across the ocean while you can! We miss ya, but can handle it due to the fact of WHERE YOU ARE!!!! Keep having a blast! Oh I am just so excited for you to see your parents!!!!
Post a Comment